De Wijkbekijker (The neighbourhood explorer) is a location specific educational game for primary education age 7. During this project Teachers work together with their class investigating the neighbourhood they live in. With helps form tools that we have provided they work through a process of investigating, discovering, designing and inventing spaces and buildings in the local area they grow up in. The tools provide are:
- An interactive CD that contains 6 modules of about one hour.
- A big map of the neighbourhood.
- Personal diaries for every student. These diaries have assignments that correspond with the modules on the CD and others that are to take home, involve your family and to investigate your neighbourhood even more.
- Materials like wooden sticks and colored tape.
- And a small guide book for the teacher.
Each class taking part of this cultural program receives a box. In this box they first find a CD. Once they have started the Interactive CD an animated character called “Wauke de Wijkbekijker” guides teacher and students through a modular program to explore their neighbourhood. This educational project aims to provide schools and their teachers with a low cost and low preparation creative project. What makes the project special is that it is developed to support teachers and provides a setting where the teacher can enjoy the project and investigate the lessons one by one together with their class with only a minimum of preparation and materials needed.
This project has been produced in collaboration with Marja Reniers and Bouke van Gestel for the main culture provider of the city of Breda, the Netherlands, De Nieuwe Veste and will be used by all primary schools in the region. This adds up to reaching about hundred classes and about 2500 children in the first year.